What Size Conservatory Can You Have Without Planning Permission UK??

See Below For Your Question Answered

Make an Enquiry
Call Us For A Free Quote

If you’re looking for a conservatory, you may be wondering if you need planning permission to build one. The good news is that in most cases, you don’t need permission. However, there are some conditions that you should be aware of. If you don’t follow these rules, you could end up having to remove your conservatory.

If you plan to add a conservatory to your home, you should also consider whether the addition will help you to save money on energy bills. For example, you may be able to avoid VAT on the installation of your conservatory if you have a new-build property, or if you are on a tax-exempt housing scheme.

Before you begin construction, you should have a good understanding of planning and building regulations. This will ensure that you don’t make a costly mistake. The first step is to check with your local planning authority for advice. They can offer you a pre-submission form that gives you an idea of the scope of the work you plan to carry out.

Another consideration is the size of the conservatory. For detached houses, the largest size you can have is eight metres, while attached properties are allowed to have a six-metre-long conservatory. In addition, you should be aware that rear conservatories can’t be more than four metres high.

You should also check with your local council if you live in a conservation area. They will be able to tell you if your proposed extension is in line with the local planning guidelines. In some areas, such as the Brecon Beacons or the Broads, you will need to apply for extra permissions.

There are two main types of planning permission. The first is known as lawful development and the other is householder application. Both of these are similar, but require different processes and costs. For instance, a lawful development certificate typically takes eight weeks to be issued, while a householder application costs PS206 in England and PS230 in Wales.

If you have a listed building, you will need to apply for a Listed Building Consent or a Certificate of Lawfulness. If you have any doubts about the feasibility of your proposal, you can apply for a Neighbour Consultation Scheme. This will allow you to consult your neighbours about your plans, and will provide them with 21 days to object.

You will also need to know if you have permitted development rights. This is a system that lets you make changes to your house without having to get planning permission. As with a planning application, you’ll need to prove that you’ve made a good case. If you don’t follow the rules, you could be fined or even have to take down your conservatory.

Before you start any type of construction project, you should be sure to check with your local planning authority for the best guidance. You can find their contact details on the Planning Portal website. The Planning Portal is a great resource for anyone considering building work in England and Wales.

Click here to learn more about aluminium windows derby.

Happy Customers

Featured Products

Soffits And Fascias

Soffits and fascias not only protect roofs but also add to the finishing touches of a home. We are experts when…

Double Glazing

Would you like to upgrade or replace your old windows? Worn-out, and outdated windows not only detract …


The choice to add on a conservatory is a major decision for your home that can reap significant benefits…

LocoWindowsandFascias34 - Copy

We know that main door entrances are usually the focal appeal of a home, so we will first listen to what you ….