What is the Four Year Rule UK??

See Below For Your Question Answered

Make an Enquiry
Call Us For A Free Quote

If you’re considering building a house or property in the UK, you’ll need to consider the four year rule. This is the time period after which unauthorised development can no longer be legally carried out. If you are planning to build, you will need to obtain planning permission before you start.

There is a number of reasons why you might need to comply with this law. If you build without permission, you will face the possibility of being prosecuted for the offence. Additionally, the value of your property is normally tied to the use of your land. This makes it crucial to follow any regulations to ensure that you are not breaking any rules.

The four year rule is an effective means of protecting residents from illegal construction. The rule applies only to dwellings. However, the rule is only as strong as your local council’s ability to enforce against it. If you do find yourself caught in the crosshairs of the law, it’s best to act as soon as possible.

The most obvious thing to do would be to get planning permission before you start. Then, you will have to follow the rules and adhere to all national standards. This is a time-consuming and daunting process. But if you are not successful, you will end up facing a fine of up to PS2,500 for every offence. The worst case scenario is that you will have to demolish the structure in question.

The best way to make sure you don’t fall foul of the law is to apply for a certificate of lawfulness. This is a legal document that states that you are allowed to carry out certain activities, such as building and installing a new roof. It’s also important to note that a Certificate of Lawfulness is not the same as obtaining a building control approval.

In order to properly claim a Certificate of Lawfulness, you will need to be able to prove that you have been using your property for a period of at least ten years. If you are unable to do this, you will have to prove that the building has been in continuous use for at least 4 years. In order to do this, you will need to produce a variety of factual information about the property. The application will require you to provide additional maintenance, and you may be asked to submit a sworn affidavit. In addition, you will need to make sure that you have the correct paperwork for the project.

A sworn affidavit can be the most difficult part of the process, especially if you don’t have any proof of use. You can also look into Google Earth’s satellite imagery to help you determine if you’ve actually used your property for a sufficient amount of time. As long as you can provide the required documentation, your application will likely be approved. If you do have a challenge, you can always seek an injunction in court.

Click here to learn more about bespoke double glazing derby.

Happy Customers

Featured Products

Soffits And Fascias

Soffits and fascias not only protect roofs but also add to the finishing touches of a home. We are experts when…

Double Glazing

Would you like to upgrade or replace your old windows? Worn-out, and outdated windows not only detract …


The choice to add on a conservatory is a major decision for your home that can reap significant benefits…

LocoWindowsandFascias34 - Copy

We know that main door entrances are usually the focal appeal of a home, so we will first listen to what you ….