Planning Regulations For Building a Conservatory?

See Below For Your Question Answered

Make an Enquiry
Call Us For A Free Quote

If you have decided to build a conservatory, it is important to know the planning regulations that apply to your project. It is also worth considering your neighbour’s views. Your local council will consult with the owners of adjoining properties and notify them about the development. If they have objections, you will have 42 days to lodge them. If they do not give their approval, you may be faced with prosecution.

If your conservatory is over 30 square metres in size, you will need to apply for statutory planning permission. For smaller conservatories, there are some permitted developments that allow homeowners to extend without obtaining planning permission. These are commonly called “permitted development allowances”. The rules vary from region to region, so it’s best to contact your local council to find out more.

If you’re building a side extension, you’ll need to make sure that your new conservatory does not exceed half the width of the original dwellinghouse. For example, if you have a semi-detached house, you must not extend the conservatory more than 6 metres from the rear wall of the house. Similarly, if you have a detached house, you can’t extend the conservatory more than 4 metres from the rear wall.

If you’re planning on building a conservatory on a side or back of the original dwellinghouse, you will need to check whether you’re in a conservation area. If you are, you’ll need to obtain Listed Building Consent (sometimes referred to as a Certificate of Lawfulness) or a Planning Permission, as well as building regulation approval. You’ll also need to get planning permission if your property is in a World Heritage Site.

In Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, the rules are different. If you’re unsure what the restrictions are in your local area, the Planning Portal is a good place to start. It offers guidance on conservatories, as well as other building regulations.

Before applying for a conservatory, you should first contact your local council’s Planning Department. They can advise you on the best way to get the planning permission you need. If you’re not sure how much space your extension will require, you can fill out a pre-submission form. This will give them a rough idea of the scope of the project. You will then need to submit the plans to your local authority. Once they approve your application, they will inform the owner and occupants of the adjoining properties. This will ensure that you and your neighbours are informed about the development before work begins.

If your conservatory is more than 50 per cent of the land around the original dwellinghouse, you’ll need to apply for planning permission. If your new extension faces the road or highway, you’ll need to comply with the Party Wall Act 1996. In addition, you will need to apply for building regulations if the extension is more than 100 square metres. If you don’t comply, you could be charged with the Community Infrastructure Levy.

Click here to learn more about double glazing windows derby.

Happy Customers

Featured Products

Soffits And Fascias

Soffits and fascias not only protect roofs but also add to the finishing touches of a home. We are experts when…

Double Glazing

Would you like to upgrade or replace your old windows? Worn-out, and outdated windows not only detract …


The choice to add on a conservatory is a major decision for your home that can reap significant benefits…

LocoWindowsandFascias34 - Copy

We know that main door entrances are usually the focal appeal of a home, so we will first listen to what you ….